(Contact: Dr. J. M. Khire, HOD, NCIM Resource Centre. Email: email@example.com)
NCIM Resource center is a pioneer microbial culture collection facility in India, which offers services to educational / research institutes and industries, which is a unique nonprofit resource dedicated to the isolation, collection, preservation and distribution of authentic cultures of industrially important microorganisms NCIM constantly acquires knowledge based in the areas of biotechnology by R&D to suit the needs of the research institutes and industries.
Mission & Goals :
- NCIM holds about 3700 microbial strains of bacteria (1800), yeast (550), fungi (1300) and algae (10). The main objective of the facility is to supply authentic cultures to research institutes and industries.
- Preservation of the microbial strains by variety of methods including lyophilization thereby maintaining the microbial bio-diversity found in the country.
- Distribution of authentic cultures to research institutes and industries, such as Pharmaceuticals, Distilleries, Food Industries etc.
- NCIM acts as depository of patent strains in addition to the strains used for basic research, indirectly helping to retain important microflora in the country.
- NCIM has the expertise in the isolation and development of industrially important strains needed for microbial-based technologies. We undertake contract research in this area.
- A highly experienced personals in the area of isolation and preservation and identification of microbial strains
- A facility aiming at strengthening the science related to industrial microbiology by offering contract research services.
- An in-house well equipped culture collection facility required for training in the area.
- Expertise in the area of strain improvement needed for industries related to microbiology.
- Catalogue of microbial strains available on-line (www.ncl-india.org/ncim/)
- Lyophilization of microbial cultures.
- Training facility for maintenance, preservation and other microbiological techniques.
- Full-fledged microbial identification facility (Under development)
- Different instruments such as HPLC, GC, Fermentors, lyophilizers, microscopes, etc. required for R & D activities and maintenance of strains.
Glimpses of R & D achievements
- More than 100 publications in high impact factor journals
- Number of foreign and indian patents for the processes for production of high value products
- Highly productive Lactobacillus strains were developed capable of producing L- or D lactic acid with high productivity. These strains have commercial potential.
- Highly productive fungal strains were developed producing industrially important enzymes such as cellulases, hemicellulases, phytases, xylanases and glucosidases, lipases.
- Processes for production of pharmaceutical products such as phenyl glycine, prostaglandin intermediate were developed.